Sunday, July 24, 2011

UGH….I Have Creator’s Block

I had a really hard time being creative. Even though I had a wonderful sketch from Mojo Monday (Sketch 200) I just couldn’t find that creative side in me this week. I think it might have had something to do with the fact that I had a super stressful week and my A/C went out in the house in the middle of this heat wave. Regardless, I had “Creators Block”…..a stampers version of “Writers Block.” When writers get “Writer’s Block,” one of the techniques to overcome this challenge is to just start writing; even if it is words and sentences that do not make sense. I guess just the act of writing stimulates that part of the brain.

So, I followed a similar technique. Even though I had “Creator’s Block” I just started putting things together. I used stamps and materials that I hadn’t used in a long time. I ended up creating five cards. The first four are okay, but I like the last card the best. My technique for overcoming “Creator’s Block” seemed to work!

Card 1: Friends are Like Flowers
Something isn’t right about the card. I think it is the lack of variation of colors throughout the card. It looks like I used equal amounts of each color rather than focusing on one color and using two or three other colors for accent.

This card uses the Friends Never Fade stamp set from Stampin’ Up! For the paper, I used Greenhouse Gala DSP, Baja Breeze CS, Pear Pizzazz CS, Pumpkin Pie CS. The ribbon is Pear Pizzazz ½” Stitched-Poly Ribbon. For the sentiment, I embossed the image with white embossing powder. I made the flower with Daisy #2 die from Sizzix/Stampin’ Up!, and in the center I used a Pumpkin Pie Corduroy brad.

Card 2: Friends Never Fade
I like this card a lot better. I never would have thought to put these colors together. Thankfully, I have Stampin’ Up!’s Color Coach. I love the Color Coach. It really helps me when I get stuck.

This card uses the Friends Never Fade stamp set from Stampin’ Up! For the paper, I used Pink Flamingo DSP, Tempting Turquoise CS, Pumpkin Pie CS and Rich Razzleberry CS. For the background paper, I brayered a Texturz Plate with Tempting Turquoise and then ran it through my Sizzix machine with a piece of Tempting Turquoise cardstock. I really like the effect. The ribbon is Rich Razzleberry 5/8” Grosgrain Ribbon and Pumpkin Pie ¼” Grosgrain Ribbon. I layered the ribbon for a unique effect.

For the sentiment, I embossed the image with white embossing powder. I also mounted it on a piece of Pumpkin Pie cardstock that I had embossed with the Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder from Sizzix/Stampin’ Up! I made the flower with Daisy #2 die from Sizzix/Stampin’ Up!, and in the center I used a Tempting Turquoise button. Rather than just using cardstock to make the flower, I used watercolor paper. I then colored each flower using an Aqua Painter, Pumpkin Pie reinker and Rich Razzleberry reinker. I’m really happy with how the flower turned out. I think it has a lot of character and dimension.


Card 3: Greetings Earthling
I’m not sure how I feel about this card. It didn’t turn out the way I had planned in my Mind’s Eye; but I like the idea of the card very much.

This card uses the Make a Monster; Greetings, Earthling; and Seeing Stars stamp set from Stampin’ Up! For the paper, I used Razzleberry Lemonade DSP, Whisper White CS, Rich Razzleberry CS, Pumpkin Pie CS and Daffodil Delight CS. To make the background paper, I stamped stars from the Seeing Stars stamp set. Instead of using ribbon, I decided to punch out stars from cardstock using the Star Punch from Stampin’ Up! I tried making something that resembled a planet. The circle element is a piece of transparency that I dabbed with alcohol inks.

I stamped a few monsters from the Make a Monster set and colored them in with Stampin’ Write markers. The sentiment is from a different stamp set, Greetings, Earthling.


Card 4: Herb Expressions with Lavender
I’m pretty happy with how this card turned out. Although, it does have an expiration date because I used real lavender in the knot.

This card uses the Herb Expressions stamp set from Stampin’ Up! For the paper, I used Cottage Wall DSP, Whisper White CS, Old Olive CS, Perfect Plum CS, and Elegant Eggplant CS. For the circle element, I punched out a piece of Whisper White CS. Using the Bojo Blossoms punch, I made flowers to adhere to the circle element. Then, I ran the circle piece through my Sizzix machine using the Square Lattice embossing folder. Finally, I mounted it on a scallop circle cut from Scallop Circle #2 Die.

The sentiment is from the Herb Expressions stamp set and the ribbon is Whisper White ¼” Grosgrain Ribbon. I cut a few pieces of fresh lavender from my garden and pulled them through the knot. This card smells great! Finally, I also used the Lace Ribbon Border punch. I hope Stampin’ Up! comes out with more of these punches because I love this one!


Card 5: Surf’s Up

I’m really happy with how this card turned out. I used several techniques/materials that I have never used before.

This card uses the Extreme Surfboard stamp from Stampin’ Up! I’m sorry that they retired this stamp. For the paper, I used Whisper White CS, Pool Party DSP, Pool Party CS and Island Indigo CS. The background is made using the shaving cream technique. I had never done this technique and it was a lot of fun. I used the Pool Party and Island Indigo reinkers. I love making my own background papers and this was the perfect effect for this stamp set.

I stamped the Extreme Surfboard stamp with Island Indigo. The rectangular element is made from silver microbeads from Martha Stewart. I had never used microbeads before. It was a little crazy with the beads bouncing all around while I adhered them, but I love the texture they added. I cut the “Surfs Up” sentiment using Island Indigo CS from the Billboard Sizzlits Decorative Strip Die from Sizzix/Stampin’ Up! Finally, I adhered three small metallic label rings. I thought it added a nice effect and almost looked like bubbles which fit in with the whole water theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment